In my daily conversations with aspiring authors, there are three topics I make sure I always cover . . .
- Please don’t plan your retirement around the sale of your book. Publishing is not an additional stream of income. Publishing is the vehicle — the method — for sharing your story, your wisdom, your perspective (aka: your Author Platform).
- It’s not about how well your book sells, but it IS all about how well your book sells YOU©. Your book is a marketing tool for your Author Platform. It doesn’t matter whether you have authored a memoir, a novel, a self-help, or a non-fiction business book . . . your Author Platform is the foundation of your message to the masses.
- R, R, R. The 3 R’s of Publishing refer to ‘Riting, Reading, and Ready. You can write it, but will they come? The measure of a good manuscript is when someone reads it, FINISHES the book, AND tells everyone how good it is. Are you R.E.A.D.Y.?
An author is R.E.A.D.Y. to publish when they can say “YES!” to having . . .
- RESILIENCY. A RESILIENT author learns to not take things personally. Publishing your first book can be scary. You’ve used YOUR words to express YOUR thoughts, feelings, beliefs, etc. — and people are going to read them! They will know who you are! Yep. That’s what happens. Those people . . . they read your words, they end up liking what you have to say, and they want more.
- EXCITEMENT. An EXCITED author believes in their message and has an inner knowing that it is good — NOPE NIX THAT — they know it is GREAT. Their message makes them come alive each morning and they are EAGER to share it with the world.
- ADAPTABILITY. An ADAPTABLE author is willing to add the “sparkle finish” to their book. When you are ready to publish, you will be surrounded by a team of experts who have walked this path with hundreds of other authors. Your professional team assists you in navigating the self-publishing landscape and “polishes” your book, making your book more appealing and marketable (that means more SALES).
- DETERMINATION. A DETERMINED author is ready to make things happen. Many authors equate the publishing process to giving birth. You’ve been working on your “baby” for many months (if not years) and it is time to share it with the world. Determination helps authors set and attain realistic goals.
- YES! MINDSET. A YES! MINDSET will always open new doors of possibility, whereas “no” is the enemy of creativity and growth. A YES! MINDSET author will always be a team player and will always have more positive outcomes when publishing their book. If DETERMINATION helps you reach goals, a YES! MINDSET helps you exceed those original expectations.
If you think you are READY to publish . . .
Reach out. Give me a call. Ask about our READY, SET, LAUNCH Publishing Program. Let me show you how we use the power of publishing to build your brand, grow your business, and make a difference in the lives of the people you reach.